OK, I am officially in love.......
With Brussels!
HAHA, I had y'all fooled, I bet. Nah, seriously though, this city is amazing - although I find the Bruxellois people to be a bit snotty!! I am serious, the people in Gent and in Bruges were so much nicer! If you ask the Bruxellois for directions, they make it sound so much more complicated than it is - and I've tried asking for them in English, French, and even German! Haha yes, my German is a joke, but I figured why not try anyway.
So let's see, what did I do today...
-Breakfast at 9:30; met a nice girl from Toronto while eating. She was very nice and told me that she's having a gap year in London, just working and experiencing life in London. Sounds fun, eh?
-Checked out of my hostel in Bruges. That hostel was alright but the showers didn't work well - gross!
-Took train to Brussels, and couldn't manage my bags. Naturally, the elevator was broken - thank goodness a nice black guy was there to help me carry my bags!
-Arrived in Brussels around 11:30 (I think? My ipod clock wasn't working!). Took a cab to my hotel, because I couldn't bear to drag my stuff around anymore. I checked-in and began exploring the city right away
-Saw the Mannekin Pis. I have an unhealthy obsession with him and took many photos!
-Went to the Grand Place and other places that I just sort of "ran into". There was a marché going on, so I explored that for a bit and took photos all around the centre.
-Had a guided tour through the Palais des Académies. It was a really good tour; the guide was very nice and knowledgeable! OK, funny story, but only those who know about Belgium will understand this. So we were in this room from the 17th century, that was the "salle de réception" - the Reception Room, basically, where all of the social events and such were held, and the tour guide was trying to be all "poetic" and having us get a picture in our heads about how that room looked when full and in party mode. So she said something to the effect of "Imaginez-vous, à la fin du 17ème siècle, vous êtes là avec les flemmands primitifs, en train de parler", immediately during which a women (who I assume is Walloon) interrupted and yelled out "mais quelle horreur!". I know, it's quite discriminatory, but it was just so funny!! OK, I think that only 2 people reading this MAY find this funny, but it's kind of a "you gotta be there" type moment. ;)
-Walked around some more, got exhausted, and came back to the hotel by 7 PM. I'm adjusting to the time change really well (I think), but I usually last longer than 7, so it was a bit disappointing. Perhaps all of the traveling is starting to catch up with me?
Well, tomorrow is my second and last day in Brussels. The agenda tomorrow is to go to the European Parlement for a tour, then to the Musée de Brasserie Belge (Museum of Belgian Beers), and see a few cathedrals. Fun times.
I have been in Belgium for a few days, and I still haven't had moules (umm mussels in English, I think?). Maybe I should do that tomorrow night for dinner. It will be my last night in Belgium, after all. :( I really hope I get to come back here another time during my year abroad! Otherwise, I've done pretty well having the local specialities - I had my gauffre liegoise (chocolate waffle), my frites avec mayonnaise (fries with mayo), a quiche lorraine (ok, not a Belgian speciality, but I was dying for one!), my Belgian chocolate (Milka & one Cote d'Or bar), Kreik (a cherry wheat beer made in Belgium) and of course, gelatto (also not Belgian, but I couldn't help it). And apparently, nougat is a speciality in Bruges as well, so I had that. I must say the nougat in Avignon is much more tasty.
OK, now I'm making it sound like I walk around Belgium and just eat all day! But I swear, that's not true, but it's hard to remember everywhere I visit...thank goodness I have photos to prove where I've been!
I'll post my Brussels photos tomorrow night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment