Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Reflection on this past year

As I sit here in Switzerland reading people's posts about 2007, I feel obligated to make my own post about how I think 2007 went. I think that I learned lots about myself this year; though not easy, I think that I have spent most of this year reflecting on life and what I want.

Lots of firsts happened this year. My first college degree. My first 40 hour per week job. The first death that really affected me. The first time I have decided to do something slightly against norms (ie, go abroad and do something that most people would see as "wasting time"). But I did it, and have never been happier.

Other things happened besides just firsts. I lost lots of weight for the first time and have managed to keep it off. I have gone through extreme pain and extreme happiness. I have moved abroad and had a successful time thus far.

So, here is a list of things that happened this year.

+-First job. Not bad at first, but horrible at the end. I learned alot about myself from the job, the most important thing being that I am not meant to sit in front of a computer in an office all day. Never trust co workers too much, either.

--My Grandpa's death. Those of you who know me well know how much of a profond effect this had on me. It was horrible, but like everything else in my life caused me to reflect on things. It was because of his death that I realised I needed to do something new with my life.

++Moving abroad to be an assistant.

Those are the three things that have affected me the most this year. Though it has not all been fun, it has shaped me and I have learned so much about myself.

I really have to thank some people, even though I know few of them will read this blog.

First and foremost, my parents. We used to always argue, but for the first time, I think we are all starting to understand each other better. We may still disagree about a lot of things, and probably always will, but we have definately begun getting closer and agreeing to disagree really has helped. Thanks for your support and help, especially when I moved abroad.

Next, my best friends. You guys are far away but you are still in my thoughts. Kelly, Flo, Judith, Tariq, Ashley, Fernando, Kim, Sabina... I am truly lucky to have friends like you guys. I only hope that I am as a good of a friend to you as you guys all are to me. Kelly, thank you for always making me laugh and talking to me when I am homesick in Chalon. Flo, merci de ton aide quand mon grand-pere est mort, le fait que tu étais là pour moi m'a beaucoup aidée. Judith, merci de m'avoir supporté et d'être mon shopping partner cette année et bien sûr pour ton amitié. Tariq, merci pour tout le fun à DeKalb quand je suis venue rendre visite aux FLRPies. Ashley, thanks for just being you and for being an awesome coffee partner, and listening to all of my problems. Fernando, thank you for all of your advice when I needed it. Kim, I am so glad we got close this year, thank you for all of the cards and facebook messages while I have been abroad. They really made me happy. Finally, Sabina...you are awesome friend and I hope to see you in Europe sometime. Thanks just for simply being there.

Finally, thanks to everyone in France who has made my stay fab this far: the teachers at my school (Simone, "Rambling Ray", Brigitte), and all of my fellow Chalon assistants. Also, thanks to Nadia and Fiona up in Dijon.

As I write this post, I realize that people are what make life worth living. Not possessions, not money, nothing else. I knew this before and it is constantly reinforced, especially when I have been homesick and had a flu for the last few days. Many of you have written to ask how I am, and I am really glad that so many people care so much about me. I still feel sick, but mentally I feel as sharp as a knife. I am ready to enjoy the next leg of my traveling: London!

As I look into 2008, I see exciting things. I may get my European citizenship, and be able to stay in Europe. If not, I will go home and get my masters. Personally, I think both options are exciting ones.

This post is turning really sappy, so I am going to end it here. I have to prepare for tomorrow's trip anyway. I will update again in London.

2 comments:

desiderata said...

Aww!! Life's not always easy hun but with an attitude like that you will go far! See you in a few hours! xx

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you! Your future looks exciting and challenging, but so worth your time! Good for you Erica, way to do what you want to do and not worry about how other people think about it! Awesome, I'm so glad you find everything worthwhile!
Yay! Now I'm excited, and I'm not even there!