Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I have my Arrêté!

Yesterday, I received my arrêté (work contract), and I will be at Lycée Emiland Gauthey in Chalon Sur Saône, teaching high schoolers ages 15-18. This is great for me, because this is the age group I wish to teach if I decide to pursue teaching further.

I've started looking up info on my town, and it looks amazing! Chalon Sur Saône is located in southern Burgundy, and seems to be a three hour train ride everywhere (except for Dijon, that's only an hour away by TGV). It's going to be one hell of a trainride from Brussels! Anyway, the town of Chalon itself has 52,000 people and the whole metropolitan area has 108,000 people. So it's smaller than Avignon, but it seems alot more vibrant than Avignon was. I think I'll get more of a French experience here than in Avignon because it's not a university town like Avignon is.

There are marchés (markets) almost everyday, and the region has its own busline Bus Zoom, which covers all of the metropolitan area from what I can tell. There's even a stop at my lycée, so if I found a good enough deal, I could live in the center and commute. There are also famous wines from this region and many museums. Chalon is the hometown of photography, kind of ironic, knowing my love for taking photos.

I can already tell that this is going to be a fantastic 7 months.

Some Links about Chalon:
-Office du tourisme
-Official city website
-Wikipedia page on Chalon
-Chalon's spring carnaval
-Le Grand Chalon: all about Chalon's metropolitan area.

3 comments:

Potted Farm said...

Congratulations on getting your arrete! Sounds like you'll be in a great town. Isn't it so much more relaxing now that you know where you're headed? Good luck with preparations to leave!

Anonymous said...

yay! congrats.

Me-Ami said...

Sounds lovely! A belated congratulations to you.